We recently acquired a fab collection of books on rock n' roll's most famous band. Early Beatles, post-Beatles, Beatle wives, Beatle magazines, coffee table book Beatles, paperback writer Beatles — we have it all. The picture shows a sample of the full collection. Come check it out, we're here to Help! But please, no screaming.
Last night, we welcomed Jacqueline Suskin into our store for a night of poetry-writing. She sets up her typewriter and creates poetry to order on any subject. Here's the North Coast Journal's Bob Doran asking for a poem on "transitions."
Jacqueline usually sets up on the Arcata Plaza during the Farmers Market; we were glad to have her in the store on this winter night. And it was lovely to have the sound of the typewriter clattering around the store all evening.
Get one for your honey. It only costs a little money.
Actually, Suskin does not charge for her poems. Her motto is “Your subject, your price,” and she accepts donations in any amount.
Suskin will be at Eureka Books tonight from 6 to 9.
We've got a towering stack of flower prints by Pierre Joseph Redouté and we're selling them cheap. These beauties are matted, wrapped and ready for framing. They're marked at $4 each or 8 for $20. Our selection is huge, our prices low. Come see.
If you prefer that your flower art be bound in sturdy hardbacks for page-flipping afternoons spent waiting for the season to turn, you're in luck! We've got a selection of botanical prints in coffeetable book form, including Redouté. And like the prints, they're priced to move.
Drum roll please…here is our list of the top 10 bestselling new books here at Eureka Books (Thanksgiving-Dec. 15). As expected, the new local books dominate the list:
1. Place Names of Humboldt County, California: A Compendium 1542-2009 by Dennis and Gloria Turner [review]
2. The Sea Captain's Odyssey: A Biography of H. H. Buhne, 1822-1894 by Marvin Turner [more]
4. Field Notes (science-y columns from the North Coast Journal) by Barry Evans [samples]
5. Locally Delicious: Recipes and Resources for Eating on the North Coast, second edition by Ann Anderson and the other Heirloom Tomatoes [more]
6. Squirrel Meets Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary by David Sedaris
7. Wicked Plants: The Weed that Killed Lincoln’s Mother & Other Botanical Atrocities by Amy Stewart
8. Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris
9. The Collector: David Douglas and the Natural History of the Northwest by Jack Nisbet [reviews]
10. Autobiography of Mark Twain by Mark Twain